HIGHLIGHT STORY OF THE MONTH
On November 12, 2022, Solomon’s Porch Light held its first mission ministry event in Uvalde, Texas. The purpose was to pay tribute to the children and the two teachers whose lives were lost in the unimaginable tragedy of May 24, 2022. SPL provided a morning brunch and prayed with the families as they shared stories about their loved ones. A team of 10 individuals from Humble, New Caney, Porter, Pearland, Houston, and other surrounding areas were there to welcome them. Our mission was simple:
- To support the families in prayer, music and hope for the future.
- To present gifts from our communities in remembrance of those lost.
- To offer the families dedicated time to speak about their loved ones in privacy.
- To show the families that SPL was there to offer support in any way we could.
The parents and families who attended were strong, courageous, and honest about their experience. They shared their tears, memories, stories, dreams, and every detail about their children which was engrained in their minds. When they spoke about their sons or daughters they smiled and showed how proud they were of them. They shared their goodness, the love, accomplishments, and the dreams these teachers and children had. The parents and family members all agreed, they needed strength, privacy, and time to grieve, heal and move on.
For those of us that were there that day, the time we spent with them was humbling and inspiring. In respect to the families, their names are not mentioned here and are simply known as loving families. They did grant SPL permission to share the following photos of that day. It is our honor to share those with you.
Our Lord God is always in control. Life is precious to all of us. Cherish every moment.
Partners Resource Network (PRN) is a non-profit agency that operates the Texas statewide network of Parent Training and Information (PTIs) Centers serving parents of children and youth with disabilities ages of 0-26 as well as youth self-advocates ages 14-26. PTIs are funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP).
Family to Family strives to provide programs that empower families of children & youth with disabilities as they navigate the complex special education, health care and disabilities services systems.
Family to Family Network helps individuals with disabilities and their family members define and achieve success for themselves and their loved ones. Through guidance and training of parents and young adults, we transform lives by helping them discover possibilities, see the potential and advocate for what they need to achieve their dreams. Our organization helps families to see potential where others see barriers. By changing attitudes and mindsets about disabilities, our organization changes lives to make sure every individual gets to live THEIR best life.
To promote wellness, enriching the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families.
1) Providing community outreach, education, and awareness on behalf of the disability community to families, schools, businesses, adult services organizations, and other community organizations;
2) Participating in national, state, and local legislative and systems advocacy to ensure that children with disabilities have access to a free, appropriate education in the least restrictive environment; and that adults with disabilities have access to community-based, integrated employment and supports;
3) Supporting the structure and cohesion of families who have members with intellectual and developmental disabilities; and
4) Providing life-enhancing integrated activities and experiences for those with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
WAYS YOU CAN HELP AND SUPPORT?
You Can Help By Donating
By Visiting The Possibilities Ebay Store
Possibilities is an Online Auction Store located in Humble, Texas. We strive in providing you a hassle free online solution that allows you to get cash for your unwanted new or used items. All proceeds are donated to the Non-Profit organization Solomon’s Porch Light
Get in Touch
Find us at the office
1016 North Houston Ave. Suite A
Humble, Texas 77338
Give us a ring
Mon - Fri, 9:00am - 4:00pm